Friday, February 3, 2012

Crafternoon: Mini Quilt

New section on the blog: Crafternoon. My roommates and I used to have crafternoon every week back in the day. One time we just put on a lot of temporary tattoos. Usually, though, our crafts involved paper and glitter and adding things to our walls. It was a lot of fun.

Crafternoon isn't as regular or well-attended these days, but sometimes Ric still comes over and Asia used to, before she moved. Anyway, I've switched to sewing and I really enjoy it. At this point in my life, I am more of a learn-as-you-go sew-er (not sewer! ew!), so it either takes me forever to make something or it is a little haphazard.

When Mae Nontakorn was here the last two weeks, I wanted to make her something to remember her trip to America. And I needed to thank her in a way she could understand for being such a great lady and taking care of Andrew on his mission, us while we were in Thailand, and even us in our apartment here in America! So, I made up a mini quilt based off of this tutorial from the Purl Bee (they have a great mini quilt series!).



It's the Salt Lake Temple in Utah. Unfortunately during Mae's visit, that temple was closed for cleaning. We were able to visit the Mt. Timpanogos temple together, though, and it was a wonderful experience.


The purple fabric is from Thailand, and the blue and green was a gift from Natalie for my birthday (thanks again!).


My biggest problems arose when piecing the triangles (my method is not the best, I'll have to find a new one :)) and when quilting. I don't have a walking foot, so I had to be careful. I think I only ended up with two puckers--my best work yet! haha. And I also need to work on sewing in a straight line :)


I added slanted pockets to hang the quilt up with a dowel, but Mae said she's going to frame it. That's a cheap process in Thailand!

Size: about 20x20
Total time to completion: 1 week

1 comment:

  1. Way to carry on crafternoon. The time we put tattoos on was definitely a top 10 crafternoon. Emily just got me some Phineas and Ferb tattoos. If you feel like you need one, you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete